Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Got the road trip blues?

On a recent road trip, I realized a lot has changed from similar trips I had taken just a few years ago. I couldn't put my finger on it until I was gearing up for another -- though much shorter -- road trip.

As I was doing my packing, I was downloading some new tunes to my Ipod and, then, it struck me. Portable music devices and video players are ruining the bonding experience that occurs when you have nothing to do than sing songs, play word association games or do other stupid things to pass the time on a long road trip.

On my last road trip, a friend was in the back watching TV shows, music videos and a movie on his Ipod Touch. I was riding shot-gun and spent my time snoozing, checking for Wi-Fi hot-spots during refeuling pit-stops and listing to tunes on my Ipod Touch (which I openly admit that I bought in a bout of jealousy after a friend of mine showed me his). The driver spent most of his time checking for traffic reports, scanning the dial every half hour for the nearest news and trafic radio station.

I will be leaving for the Pacific Ocean tomorrow and decided to burn a CD of my dad's favorite musice (well, at least the music I could stand to listen to). That way, we'll at least be listening to the same thing and -- who knows -- we might even do some father/son bonding along the way.

Tell us about your road trip blues...

No comments:

Post a Comment